Durham Bird Club's Castle Lake Nature Reserve

Tuesday 14 April 2015

Tuesday 14th April 2015

Some sightings for today from Tony Eadsforth and myself.

Fishburn Lake - 2 Canada Geese, 6 Shelduck, 1 Grey Heron, 1 Common Sandpiper, 7 Willow Warbler, 3 Chiffchaff, 1 Willow Tit, 4 Bullfinch and a singing Corn Bunting.

Common Sandpiper at Fishburn Lake this morning, only the fourth wader species I've seen here after Woodcock, Green Sandpiper and Greenshank.

On the walk back towards Castle Lake where the track narrows and has trees on both sides a Long-eared Owl suddenly flew out from the left and flew along the track ahead of me, providing an unbelievably close and totally unexpected encounter, I continued walking and saw it again as it took off from a tree on my right and flew behind me and out of sight towards Low Hardwick and was not seen again.

Castle Lake - 1f Goldeneye, 3 LR Plover, 1 Ruff, 1 Wheatear and a singing Corn Bunting.

No comments:

Post a Comment