Durham Bird Club's Castle Lake Nature Reserve

Sunday 10 July 2011

#117 Cuckoo

It's amazing how many unexpected birds you inadvertently pick-up when scanning with the scope, another lengthy shoreline sweep of Castle Lake this evening for that much hoped for Spotted Sandpiper (think big thats my motto) yielded my first patch Cuckoo of the year (in fact only my second ever at Bishop Middleham, though I am putting a bit more effort into my birding this year!), fence hopping in the south-east corner.
It didn't stay put long enough to allow anything other than this record picture.

Other highlights this evening included singles of Little Egret, Green Sandpiper and Greenshank, 4 Common Sandpiper and 10 Little Ringed Plover including now 6 juveniles, leaving no doubt that new arrivals are dropping in all the time.

Waders are continuing to avoid Stoneybeck Lake despite plenty of excellent habitat, only 3 Wigeon of note tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment